Monday March 6
Environment Canada has issued a freezing rain warning
- Freezing rain starting at approx. 5 pm today, possibly mixed with ice pellets.
- 12.0 mm of ice accretion is expected from late afternoon Monday through the morning commute on Tuesday
- Forecasted conditions:
- A freezing rain event that will persist through tonight and overnight into tomorrow before changing to rain
- Temperature today: High -2C today with temperatures rising to 3C by morning
- Winds becoming east at 20 km/h
- Periods of freezing rain changing to rain in the morning on Tuesday March 7 with a High of 9C
Residents are advised to exercise patience and caution through this freezing rain event. Staff are monitoring weather forecasts and will be patrolling roads throughout the event.
- We are prepared to plow/scrape and salt the priority road and sidewalk network at the onset of the freezing rain event and have night shift staff scheduled for 7pm to continue plowing and salting the road and sidewalk network.
- We will deploy plowing/scraping resources over the remainder of the transportation network as necessary as the weather or road conditions change.
- The afternoon commute maybe affected as we can expect slippery conditions late this afternoon. We also expect the Tuesday morning commute to be wet, slushy and slippery.
We will continue to provide operational updates as weather conditions change and the event progresses.